Navigating Google Meet
What is the purpose of this tutorial?
The purpose of this tutorial is to show students how to access Google Meet, set up a meeting, and share their screens with others.
- Students in elementary grades cannot create their own Google Meet
- Best practice to avoid elementary students being in a Meet without a teacher would be to make sure the teacher is the last person to leave the Meet, then the teacher can delete the link wherever it was posted
- Middle and high school students are still able to create their own Google Meets. If you would like to disable this at your site level, please contact Help Desk
If you are unable to access meet.google.com, please email Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Step 1: Start a Meeting
- Login to your IUSD Google Account (Skip this if you are on a Chromebook)
- Go to Meet.google.com
- Click on New meeting
- Click on Start an instant meeting
Step 2: Inviting Others
Once you start your meeting, you will be prompted to invite people.
- You can either click Add others
- Enter the user’s full IUSD account (including @iusd.org) and click on their name once it shows up.
- Click on Send email
You can also invite others by copying the url and sending it to other users.
- Copy the url and send it via email, text, posting in Canvas or Google Classroom.
Once a user joins, their name and image will appear in the bottom right corner. The number of members in the meeting will also adjust.
Step 3: Sharing Screen (Optional)
- To share your screen, click on Present Now (Box with the arrow pointing up)
- Choose whether you want to share your entire screen, a window, or just a tab.
- Choose the screen you would like to display and click Share
If you have finished sharing, go back to the tab for Google Meet and click Stop Presenting.
If you do not invite a user but they have the link to the meeting, they will have to ask permission to join.
- Click Admit or Deny entry
Step 4: Joining a Meeting
The host of the meeting should send you a specific url to go to.
- Go to the url and click Join meeting
Step 5: Troubleshooting Microphone/Camera Blocked
If you check your settings and your Microphone or Camera is blocked, you should see an error icon in the url.
- Click on the icon (Found on the right side of the url)
- Check the box next to Always allow and click Done
Refresh your browser and click on the settings button. Your microphone and camera should be allowed now.
This document was created for Irvine Unified School District by the Information Technology Department.
Updated 1/22/2024 EP
For technical assistance, please email email@example.com
5050 Barranca Parkway
Irvine, CA, 92604
Last Updated 9/1/2022 [CK]