WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS TUTORIAL?
This tutorial will provide you with the steps to add a nickname to a Canvas course. This could be helpful to a parent with an observer account who would like to label the courses individually for multiple children.
Step 1: Dashboard
- Login to your Canvas account.
- Once you are on your Dashboard, click on the 3 vertical dots of the course to access the course dropdown menu.
Step 2: Fill out Preferences
- Enter the nickname you would like to use in the field under Nickname
- You can change the text color if you'd like
- Click Apply
- If you would like to revert the course nickname back to it's original name, you can delete the course nickname and click Apply.
- The nickname will now appear on the Dashboard card.
- The nickname can also be viewed on your list of All Courses. To view the complete list of course in your account, click on Courses in the left menu, then All Courses.
- You can now see your course’s nickname listed next to the course name. If you have a parent observer account with multiple children, this could be a great way to label your courses by child so that you know which course belongs to which child.
This document was created for Irvine Unified School District by the Information Technology Department.
Last Updated 6/6/23 EE