WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS TUTORIAL?
Assignments and quizzes within Canvas have been reported as not displaying negative integers properly. Turning off the hardware acceleration setting in the Google Chrome browser has shown to be an effective workaround for this bug.
Step 1: Access Settings menu within Chrome
- From the Chrome browser, click on the three ellipses at the upper right hand corner.
- Scroll down and select Settings.
- Select System on the left side menu
Step 2: Toggle to "Off" Position
- Under the System section of the Advanced Settings menu, click on the switch to the right of hardware acceleration. When this setting is off, the switch will be gray and stationed on the left side.
- In order for Chrome to update, you’ll need to close all browser tabs completely and relaunch Google Chrome. (Make sure you save your work before you complete this step!)
Should you still experience issues with negative integers appearing in Canvas, using an alternative browser such as Microsoft Edge or Mozilla Firefox can also provide a temporary solution.
If you are unsure as to whether an equation is appearing correctly, the intended equation will pop up in a small window when you hover your mouse over the equation.
This document was created for Irvine Unified School District by the Information Technology Department.
Last Updated 07/10/23 EE