Update your Chromebook's operating system
Your Chromebook automatically checks for and downloads updates when connected to Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
Finish an update
If you use your Chromebook at work or school:
- When your Chromebook downloads a software update, look for the "Update available" notification.
- Blue: An update is recommended.
- Orange: An update is required.
- Select Restart to update.
- Your Chromebook will restart and update.
Check for updates yourself
- Turn on your Chromebook.
- Connect your Chromebook to Wi-Fi.
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Settings.
- At the bottom of the left panel, select About Chrome OS.
- Under "Google Chrome OS," you'll find which version of the Chrome operating system your Chromebook uses.
- Select Check for updates.
- If your Chromebook finds a software update, it will start to download automatically.
Click HERE to see an interactive tutorial.
Troubleshooting tip: If you still encounter an issue after updating, please see this tutorial on how to clear your web cache.