IUSD is committed to ensuring that every student has access to technology to help meet their educational needs. During the pandemic, we checked out over 18,000 Chromebooks to our students for use at home and at school, and we made significant investments to ensure access for everyone. As we've transitioned back to on-campus instruction, our device access model has evolved to accommodate the increased needs for access at school and at home.
The information below is intended as a general guide for practices across IUSD, but individual sites may operate a little differently. When in doubt, please refer to the information and directions provided by your school.
1:1 Device Access Model
|Grades/Program||Device Access Model||Description|
|K-6 Elementary||1:1 Devices in carts on campus||Devices available for all students in their classrooms|
|7-8 Middle School||1:1 Take-Home Model||Devices checked out to students at the beginning of the year for use at school and at home|
|9-12 High School||1:1 Hybrid BYOD Model||Same as 1:1 Take-Home with the option for students to bring their own personal device to school instead of using a district device.|
|IVA - K-12||1:1 Hybrid BYOD Model||Any student who needs a device to access online instruction may check one out.|
Expectations of a 1:1 Program:
- Every MS and HS student should bring their fully charged device to school each day.
- Students that check out a district device should take proper care of that device.
- Students exiting their school/IUSD should return their device prior to leaving.
Chromebook Care and Use
- Remember to charge your device every night
- Carry your device with both hands, and don't run with it
- Close the lid before moving your Chromebook, and make sure there are no loose items (pencils, pens, etc) on top of the keyboard when you close the lid
- Keep food and drinks away from your device.
- Use caution when putting your device in a backpack
- Watch out for sharp or heavy objects in your bag that could put pressure on your Chromebook
- Don't throw or drop your backpack if it has your Chromebook in it
- Be careful sitting/leaning against your backpack if it has a Chromebook in it
- Report any damage to your teacher/library: Chromebooks - Reporting Damage or Loss
- If your Chromebook has a problem, report it to firstname.lastname@example.org and get a working device
Care & Use Instructional Video Resources
Returning Your Device
At the end of each school year, you may be wondering what to do with your device. We are trying our best to make it as painless as possible while continuing to provide access to our students. In general, if you will be returning to that same campus the following year, you can hold onto your device over the summer. If you are exiting 8th grade, 12th grade, or if you'll be going to a different school, we ask that you return your device at the end of the year/before you leave.
The 5 W's (and an H) of Chromebook Returns
- Who? - Anyone going to a different school next year (8th graders, 12th graders, IVA students going back to on-campus instruction, anyone transferring out of IUSD).
- What? - Please return your Chromebook, the charger, and a hotspot if you checked one out.
- When? - Specific return dates will be communicated by your school
- Where? - The school site you checked the device out from.
- Why? - In order to ensure each school has enough devices for the next year's students. If you are going to another IUSD school, you'll be checking out a new device from them at the start of the next school year.
- How? - Follow the directions communicated to you by your school site.